It is not a problem for a service to have a large group of non-active users if they have a large group of active users. It’s the latter group that you need to focus on. Over time, I’ve learned that many non-active users become active for one reason or another. But they don’t become active by focusing on them. They become active because you focus on the successful users and make them even more successful.
Here are some thoughts to focus on your active users:
- promote what they’re doing, either through your application or explicitly through social media;
- ask them for a review of your application and publish it, word for word, on your blog;
- offer all help you can whenever they want to do a meetup about your application;
- ask for their opinion before launching a new feature;
- give them credit about new ideas you implement, whenever appropriate.